Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Confession #1

It is only within the past week that I realized that babies need help taking naps.

Yes, I am completely serious.

I did know that babies needed lots of sleep. I even knew that sometimes babies needed a little help with going to sleep at night.

But naps! I just didn't get it. I thought that Gemma was just an alert (and very fussy) baby.

Then with a combination of stuff I had observed watching Gemma (like the fact she always passed out when my Great Grandmother rocked her) and stuff I had read, something finally clicked and I thought I would give rocking her to sleep when she got super fussy during the day a shot.

And  wouldn't ya know...it worked! Within a week I am able to get her to take at least 2 or 3 good naps each day. I have even developed  (a very scientific) technique of rock, tap, swaddle, squish, and hold the binky in place.

Now she is MUCH less fussy and I am able to get a little more done during the day.

I would say someone should have told me, but deep down I am pretty sure I should have known.

4 comments:

  1. Oooo, I love the idea of confessions but not sure if I am ready to confess in public...hehe.

    Yay for discovering the beauty of naps! Zakiah is finally getting a hang of the 2 hour naps again. Somewhere between 2-3 months, babies go through the 40 minute nap phase. Zakiah conquered that monster finally for her naps but for awhile now, she wakes up 40 mins after being put into bed around 8. I usually can get her back to sleep and she is good until it is time to eat at around 11:30p. But still, I wished she would sleep straight from 8-11:30p.

    Anyway, kudos to getting Gemma hip to naps. Plus, better naps in the day can help lead to better and longer sleep at night.

    Zakiah only fusses/cries when she is tired. Don't feel bad about thinking you should have known about the naps. It is all a learning process. You will be amazed at what you learn from having a baby. Guess we are gradually becoming more "seasoned" moms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "rock, tap, swaddle, squish"

    The squish is my favorite part! And don't be too hard on yourself. I'm on baby number two and it feels as if I'm still just learning as I go. Trial and error, right?

    You're doing a great job.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!

    2 Hour naps sound great! Usually Gemma naps for anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes and she wakes up not too long after I lay her down if I dare even try that!

    And the "squish" is definitely the most important part! She really likes the bunched up feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey--don't get me started on the stuff I didn't know about sleep. I had no idea about a lot of stuff, that I'm just now learning & he's 1 yrs old!

    ReplyDelete