Thursday, December 17, 2009

Try Everything...Twice

One of my life's mottoes has always been to try everything twice. Well, not everything you know. You definitely don't want to try robbing a bank twice or smoking crack twice or voting republican twice (j/k!..sort of). Generally though, this serves me well as a motto, forcing me to get outside of my comfort zone and push my limits. There are many experiences that I have had and doors that have been opened to me because I have always pushed myself to just try IT, if nothing else for the life experience.

As for trying everything TWICE, I think it is important to give everything a second chance. People naturally are drawn to what is familiar so if something is brand new it can be sort of...jarring. Also, sometimes you just have a bad first encounter with a new person/thing/place/activity, etc. Imagine if you hated your best friend before you met her and then never "tried" with her again. That would completely SUCK. So in order to give myself the best possible shot of liking something (or at least getting something out of it), I have always tried my best to try everything two times (at least!).

Since Gemma was born my perspective on things has been shifting in both monumental and imperceptible ways. My "try everything, twice" motto has not been spared. Trying new things seems so scary, so risky, so... not worth it. The trouble with trying new things is sometimes you fall flat on your face and I don't want to fall with her in my arms.

That being said, I hope to raise Gemma to have and adventurous spirit. I want her to be open to life and what is has to offer. I want her to live fully and completely and have fun with it.

I think the best way to instill anything within a child is to lead by example. That being said, I think I need to put my brave face on, hold on to her a little tighter, and, once again, push myself to try everything...twice.

*This post is part of my participation in The Writer's Workshop at Mama's Losin' It.

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Mama Kat's. That is a really beautiful post. No doubt raising kiddos is hard...there is no easy answer. I have had to "suck it up" and try things twice, sometimes three times, and things I do not like in order to lead by example.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying everything twice takes some bravery. You're right, it's not as easy done as said. But probably worth the effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is very good advice. Seriously good. And you are only 23! Wise! Must see a picture of this sweet baby of yours. I heart babies :)

    ReplyDelete